bringing down the house...

Last night's David Byrne show at Radio City Music Hall was simply an amazing piece of entertainment. If you have a chance to catch this show's tour in your part of the world, do it!

The first song I ever heard by Talking Heads was probably Once in a Lifetime, which changed my taste in music instantly. I had simply never heard anything like it. David Byrne's voice was, to me at the time, the exact opposite of what pop music should sound like. Was it Punk? New Wave? Rock? Pop? Of course, the answer is all of the above, which I soon learned after purchasing the entire past discography of the band in reverse and going forward.

As amazing as the production on their studio albums are (especially those overseen by Brian Eno), the songs of Talking Heads have always sounded best in front of an audience. Much more than the popular soundtrack to Stop Making Sense, my double record set of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads was the prized possession of my vinyl collection until Rhino remastered it for CD a few years ago. Last night's concert consisting of songs mainly from Fear of Music and Remain in Light brought back many memories, not to mention the THREE ENCORES that brought down the house.